Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 725-726 of the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson #202). This is a short reading but it will get you started with your study.
- Here is a free printable for the Scarlet Elf Cup. Excellent!
- Watch this short video that lets you see this fungi up close: Scarlet Cup.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Take some time outdoors to look for fungi in your neighborhood. The scarlet cup fungi is one of the earliest fungi to look for in the woods. Look for it on decaying branches in damp areas, sometimes buried beneath the leaves on the forest floor.
- Use the lesson’s suggested observations when you find your specimen. Depending on where you live, you may find this fungus during the months of January-April.
- Create a nature journal entry that includes a colorful sketch, a caption, and words to describe this interesting fungi.
- Advanced Study: Scarlet Cup Fungus. After reading this page, create a nature journal entry using the notebook page included in this ebook. If you run out of room on the front of the page, continue on the back.
- Scarlet Cup Fungus
- Additional information on other fungi you may encounter in the up-coming months: Spring Fungi.
- Fungi-Information for kids.
- Advanced Study: Video about Fungi: http://youtu.be/b5rluxtABGA
If you want to purchase the Winter Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Winter Nature Study Continues Ebook Announcement page for more details.