Outdoor Hour Challenge
Lady’s Slipper and Adder’s Tongue Flower Studies
Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 463-465 in the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson #118) to learn more about the Yellow Adder’s Tongue (also known as the Trout Lily). Read pages 484-487 (Lesson #126) that covers the Yellow Lady’s Slipper.
- Range Maps: Yellow Adder’s Tongue and Yellow Lady’s Slipper. I am not sure what to think of the Lady’s Slipper map since it would be a rare thing indeed to find this growing in California. Check your local wildflower sites to see if you have either of these near you for observation. I enjoyed this webpage: Meet the Ladies.
- Youtube video: Pink Lady’s Slipper and Yellow Lady’s Slipper.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- If you find either of these flowers, use the suggestions in the Handbook of Nature Study to make careful observations in the field.
- The Handbook suggests looking for bees visiting the lady’s slipper, noting how the pollen is transferred, how the insect is attracted to the flower, and if the insect gets trapped within the flower.
- If you don’t have a adder’s tongue or lady’s slipper to observe, find some other interesting plant to study and look it up in your wildflower field guide.
- Sketch or paint any spring wildflower of your choice in your nature journal. Make note of any insect visitors you observed on your wildflower. There is a notebook page for each of this challenge’s flowers included in the ebook.
- Advanced Study: Research any wild orchids in your area and create a nature journal page with a sketch and information you found interesting.
- Advanced Study: Read about and then record in your nature journal information about bees and their role in pollination. Here is an excellent online source: USDA Bee Pollination. I also found this NPR article interesting: Wild Bees are Good for Crops… You might think about creating a nature journal entry in the style of one of the pages in this document: Native Wild Bees in Western Montana where you show the wildflower and then the bee that pollinates it.
If you want to purchase the Spring Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Spring Nature Study Continues – New Ebook announcement page for more details.