Outdoor Hour Challenge
Insect Study – Cockroach
Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 350-351 (Lesson #83) in the Handbook of Nature Study.
- This is a helpful page that you can read with your children and download any of the pdf identification cards you desire to include in your nature journal: Cockroaches.
- Advanced study: Here is a National Geographic video about the cockroach. Just be warned it may be hard for some people to watch. I suggest previewing this video!
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Go on an insect hunt! Look for any insect to observe and compare to a cockroach.
- Observation Ideas: Look at the shape and size of your insect. Look at the antennae. Look at the eyes. Look at the wings.
- If you had a cockroach to observe, use the lesson observation suggestions from the Handbook of Nature Study to create a nature journal page.
- Advanced study: Research incomplete metamorphosis. Create a nature journal page that records your findings.
- Advanced study: Research the insect order blattodea. Pick two insects in this order and compare them in your nature journal. There is a notebook page in the ebook for recording your data.
If you want to purchase the Autumn Nature Study 2015 ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Autumn Nature Study 2015 announcement page for more details.