More Nature Study Book #4 – Summer Sizzle is the last ebook in the More Nature Study ebook series. This completes the cycle of seasons using the Handbook of Nature Study with options for more advanced study of the world in your own backyard. Families have found it easy to offer nature study from their youngest to their oldest children using this series of nature study plans. My own family has greatly enjoyed having the options to bump up the simple plans to a more in-depth study when we came across a topic that interested us.
The challenges in More Nature Study Book #4 cover a variety of topics and I have done my very best to allow for differences in habitat and availability of subjects. You will always be able to adapt each specific challenge to fit a broad range within that topic. For example, when the topic is the Cottonwood Tree, I give suggestions for choosing another summer tree in your own neighborhood if you do not have a Cottonwood to observe up close.
I know summer nature study tends to be more relaxed so I have included simple follow-up activity options that will enhance and support your outdoor time. When you study the Cottonwood, one of the suggestions is to eat a snack or meal in the shade of a backyard tree. The rock study encourages you to complete some simple follow-up projects using rocks. You are going to find the challenges in the More Nature Study Book #4 a wonderful supplement to many of your family’s outdoor activities.
The challenges in this ebook will be posting on the Handbook of Nature Study blog starting on June 8, 2012. They will continue for ten weeks and finish on August 10, 2012. Of course, you are welcome to complete the challenges in any order and then submit your blog entries to the Outdoor Hour Challenge Blog Carnival. See the Blog Carnival button on the sidebar of my blog.
Outdoor Hour Challenge:
More Nature Study Ebook #4 – Summer 2012
- Ten challenges using the Handbook of Nature Study. See a list of topics and a Sample Challenge.
- 15 regular notebook pages and 12 coloring pages
- 18 additional upper level notebook pages for advanced or experienced students
- 10 Charlotte Mason style exam questions
- Complete list of supplies needed (nothing fancy or expensive)
- Detailed instructions for each challenge, with links (including YouTube videos) and printables
- Nature journal suggestions and examples
- Special Bonus Features! Summer Photo Challenge and Summer Sunflower Grid Study!
- All the challenges will coordinate with the June through August 2012 Outdoor Hour Challenge Newsletters
- Alternate ideas to adapt the challenges to your local area
- 73 pages