Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 104-109 in the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson 27). Choose some of the activities listed in the lesson. I suggest #1, #4, #8, #12, and #13.
- Look up the following hawks that are discussed in the Handbook of Nature Study lesson as part of your preparation:
- Red-Tailed Hawk
- Red-Shouldered Hawk
- Cooper’s Hawk
- Sharp-Shinned Hawk
- You may also be interested in viewing these hawks when in flight (images): Hawks in Flight Gallery.
- For advanced students: How To Identify Hawks (when they are flying).
- Here is a reference printable for advanced students: Identification Guide (use page 2). NOTE TO EBOOK USERS: THIS IS AN UPDATED LINK.
- Awesome video on Youtube about identifying raptors: http://youtu.be/usx6_88R8uk
Outdoor Hour Time:
- This is a bird watching week so take some time outside where you can watch for a bird in real life to observe. Of course it would be great to see a hawk in flight but you can use any bird you find and compare it to a hawk.
- Use the Bird Observation printable in the ebook to record your bird observations. You can take the page out on a clipboard along with a pencil to look carefully at any bird you see during your outdoor time.
- Create a nature journal entry to record your favorite hawk information. You might choose one of the hawks listed above to study more in depth using a field guide or online resource. There are notebook pages and two coloring pages for younger children included in the ebook for you to use.
- Advanced study: Research all the hawks in your local area, creating nature journal entries for each one. Make sure to sketch the silhouette of the flying hawk in your nature journal so you can more easily identify it in the field.
- Advanced study: Use the links above to listen to each hawk’s call. Try to imitate the call and record what it sounds like on your nature journal page.
Here is a wonderful introduction video: Identifying Raptors
Join us for this series of challenges every week here on the Handbook of Nature Study. If you want to purchase the Autumn Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Autumn Nature Study Continues content list on the announcement page.