Inside Preparation Work:
- Read the lesson in the Handbook of Nature Study on page 727 (Lesson 204). This is a rather short lesson since the author believes the foul odor of this subject makes it a poor lesson for children. This is the sort of object that forces itself into a study when you happen upon in during your outdoor time.
- Stinkhorn printable—Here is a nice concise printable about stinkhorns with images.
- Here is a page with a time lapse video of a stinkhorn: Stinkhorn on Arkive.
- Advanced Study: Use this page to learn more details about stinkhorns, including a key to identifying stinkhorns: Mushroom Expert.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Go on a mushroom hunt in your yard, park, or a near-by wood. Use your sense of smell to locate a stinkhorn. Don’t worry if you don’t find a stinkhorn this week but take the opportunity in the future when you find one to visit in person.
- You can use this printable Mushroom Cap notebook page if you want to create some interest in mushroom shapes. Mushroom Cap Notebook Page.
- Follow-up your mushroom hunt with a nature journal entry for any fungus you find.
- Create a journal entry using the notebook page provided in the ebook to record your stinkhorn information. There is also a second notebook page with an image to color.
- Advanced Study: Make sure to pull out your mushroom field guide or look on this site to help identify any mushrooms you found while you were outdoors: Mushroom Expert.
- Advanced Study: Create a special place in your nature journal to keep a list of fungi you find in your local area. Check off each one as you observe it in person. Advanced notebook page is available in the ebook as well.
Join us for this series of challenges every week here on the Handbook of Nature Study. If you want to purchase the Autumn Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Autumn Nature Study Continues content list on the announcement page.