Inside Preparation Work:
- Read the Handbook of Nature Study pages 286-293 (Lesson 69). You will find lots of information in this lesson and several images to share with your children. Pick a few of the observation ideas to share with your child before you view a pig.
- Think of a way to see a pig this week or any other related animals: giraffe, camel, llama, sheep, goat, cattle, hippopotamus, deer.
- Listen to Burgess Book of Animals Chapter 39—Piggy and the Hardshell. This story is about the wild pig but it would still be interesting for children.
Fun farm animal videos on Youtube (shows pigs):
- Farm Animals
- Pig video for very young children: Pigs.
- Pigs on a Virtual Farm Tour.
- Berkshire Pigs—warning this video talks about eating the pigs.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- This is one of those challenges that is best to plan ahead of time for direct observation of the topic. If you have access to a real pig to observe, use the suggestions for the lesson in the Handbook of Nature Study.
- If you don’t have access to a pig, use your outdoor time to observe any mammal and compare it using information you know about a pig: teeth, feet, tail, color, size, behavior, diet.
- Use your follow-up time to create a pig nature journal page. There is also a notebook page for recording your comparison of a pig and another mammal in the ebook.
- If you observed any other mammal and would like to follow-up with more nature study, you can check the list of previous mammal Outdoor Hour Challenges for more information using the Handbook of Nature Study. You may wish to use the free Mammal Notebook Page available on my blog.
- Advanced Study: Research the Artiodactyla order and the Suidae family. Record your results in your nature journal.
Join us for this series of challenges every week here on the Handbook of Nature Study. If you want to purchase the Autumn Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Autumn Nature Study Continues content list on the announcement page.