Outdoor Hour Challenge
Jack in the Pulpit Flower Study
Inside Preparation Work
- Read pages 473-476 in the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson #122). The lesson says to dig up a single plant to bring in to study but I don’t suggest completing this part of the assignment. Complete all your observations in the field and leave the plant in its natural habitat.
- Here is information about the range of the Jack in the Pulpit plant. Those of us on the West Coast of the U.S. can study the skunk cabbage as an alternative to Jack in the Pulpit since it is in the same botanical family.
- YouTube Videos: Jack in the Pulpit and this very helpful video Jack in the Pulpit.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Use the observation suggestions in the lesson to get to know this interesting plant. #5 says to describe or sketch the leaves which would be a great activity to do in the field.
- #8 in the lesson suggests making more long term observations of the Jack in the Pulpit to notice the changes in the berries and leaves.
- The Handbook suggests looking for insects on the Jack in the Pulpit, observing the insects entering and leaving the flower.
- If you don’t have a Jack in the Pulpit (or a skunk cabbage), find some other interesting plant to study and look up in your wildflower field guide.
- Advanced Study: Create a map of the area in which you found your Jack in the Pulpit growing. Make notes about the features of the habitat.
- Use your follow-up time to create a nature journal page if you haven’t already done so in the field. There is a nice black line drawing in the Handbook of Nature Study that you can use as a guide for young artists. There is a notebook page included in the ebook for you to use as a follow-up.
- Advanced Study: The Handbook of Nature Study suggests that you compare the calla lily and the Jack in the Pulpit. You can use the information on the Arum family of plants if you wish. Write your comparisons in your nature journal.
- There is a Spring Flower Study notebook page included in the ebook that you can use with any spring flower you find to observe in detail.
If you want to purchase the Spring Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Spring Nature Study Continues – New Ebook announcement page for more details.
Don’t miss the chance to enter for an awesome homeschooling giveaway AND free floral designed notebooking pages from NotebookingPages.com!
Please note that I am affiliate for this awesome company! You can read my review of the Lifetime Membership here: NotebookingPages.com Review – Nature Journal Options.