Outdoor Hour Challenge
Spring Peeper Study
Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 177-180 in the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson #46).
- Information and images online: Northern Spring Peeper and Southern Spring Peeper.
- YouTube video: Spring Peeper.
- Here is a blog entry showing the development of the spring peeper from a tadpole.
- There are some really interesting facts about this frog and I highly recommend reading the links above and sharing some of the tidbits with your children.
1. They have some color changing ability!
2. In winter they go into a partially frozen state.
3. Only the males sing.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Go on a pond, puddle, or roadside ditch hike (if it is safe in your area). Look for pools of water where there are possible eggs, tadpoles, or developed frogs living.
- Use your ears to hear the spring peepers at night since they are nocturnal.
- Older children: Play hide and seek in the dark!
- You can use the notebook page in the ebook to record your facts and observations.
- You may be interested in this study with a different notebook page: Frog Study.
- There is a Seasonal Pond Study notebook page available if you want to do a more general nature study this week.
- Drawing a spring peeper.
- The spring peeper is a subject you can study long term as you look later in the summer for tadpoles and then the small 1” to 1.5” frogs. Mark your calendar to look for them in the summer!
- There is a coloring sheet on this webpage (you need to scroll down): Spring Peeper.
- Advanced Study: Learn more about the animals that inhabit vernal pools, including the spring peeper. There is a notebook page in the ebook for you to record your study of vernal pools.
If you want to purchase the Spring Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Spring Nature Study Continues – New Ebook announcement page for more details.