Outdoor Hour Challenge
Trillium Flower Study
Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 468-470 in the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson #120).
- Check to see which trilliums you have in your woods: White trillium, red or purple trillium, Western white trillium, yellow trillium, snow trillium, painted trillium.
- Youtube videos: Painted trillium, see if you can pick out the trillium in this video (includes Yellow Lady’s Slipper and May apple).
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Take an early spring wildflower walk again this week. If you have already been out in the woods for previous challenges, make comparisons and look for new things blooming and growing. Look for trilliums or any of the flowers listed in this ebook to observe and enjoy.
- Take photos of any wildflowers you find and/or use a field guide to identify them.
- Use the suggestions from the lesson in the Handbook of Nature Study. At the very least, note the three leaves, three petals, and three sepals.
- Draw the leaf and flower in detail then measure the height of the plant. Record all of these observations in your nature journal or on the notebook page provided in this ebook.
- Make a reminder to look for the berries in the summer.
- Create a list in your nature journal of all the wildflowers you find blooming this spring. Use a field guide to identify any flowers you don’t know yet.
- There is a Spring Flower Study notebook page included in the ebook that you can use with any spring flower you find to observe in detail.
If you want to purchase the Spring Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Spring Nature Study Continues – New Ebook announcement page for more details.