Outdoor Hour Challenge
Bluets Flower Study
Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 483-484 in the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson #125).
- Read this link for more in-depth information about bluets: Houstonia caerulea
- Youtube video: Bluets (Quaker Ladies).
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Look for bluets, noting that there are two forms of the flower as illustrated in the Handbook. The lesson in the Handbook says to bring in sod covered in bluets but it would be better to leave the plants where you find them and make your observations outdoors.
- Look for any blue, lavender, or purple wildflowers to observe as part of this Outdoor Hour Challenge. Sketch at least one in your nature journal.
- Create a nature journal entry for bluets and include a sketch of the flower. If you can, sketch both forms of the flower.
- Use this website link to identify any blue/lavender wildflowers you found: Blue Wildflowers. Use the notebook page included in the ebook to record your blue, lavender, or purple wildflower.
- Advanced Study: Find a wildflower to dissect using the notebook page included in the ebook.
If you want to purchase the Spring Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Spring Nature Study Continues – New Ebook announcement page for more details.