Outdoor Hour Challenge
Geranium Flower Nature Study
Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 585-587 in the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson #163).
- Create a list of observations from the lesson for your family to use during your outdoor observation time.
- Youtube videos: Kinds of Geraniums and How to Grow Geraniums.
- Visit the garden nursery and purchase a potted geranium for your nature study. You can also use this Garden Nursery Field Trip Mini Book for an additional activity as part of this challenge.
- Sketch the diagram from page 587 in the Handbook of Nature Study, labeling the parts of the geranium flower. Look for these parts when you observe your geranium.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Observe a geranium either in the garden or in a container that you have brought inside. Use the suggestions in the lesson or on the notebook page in this ebook to get to know the geranium flower better.
- If you don’t have a geranium to observe, look for another blooming flower in your garden to enjoy or just take a nice spring walk! Take your nature journal along and find something to record for this week’s flower study.
- Create a nature journal entry if you didn’t make one during your outdoor time. It can be a simple sketch and caption or a photo with a caption. For a more detailed nature journal, label your flower sketch with the flower part names.
- Advanced Study: Learn how to propagate geraniums from cuttings: Youtube video.
If you want to purchase the Spring Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Spring Nature Study Continues – New Ebook announcement page for more details.