Outdoor Hour Challenge
Nasturtium Flower Study
Inside Preparation Work:
- Read pages 566-568 in the Handbook of Nature Study (Lesson #156).
- You may also want to take a look at the Leaf Miners OHC just in case you see signs of them on your nasturtium leaves. Visit the garden nursery to look for nasturtium plants to purchase or as a long term project you can purchase nasturtium seeds and plant those in a pot to observe.
- Watch this YouTube video: How to Grow Nasturtiums and Bees in Nasturtiums.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- The lesson in the Handbook suggests that you observe the same flower on successive days so tie a small piece of yarn or string loosely on the flower stem to remind yourself which flower you are going to watch.
- Spend some time looking at any garden flowers you have access to this week. Look for signs of insects too!
- Create a watercolor or colored pencil drawing of a nasturtium in your nature journal. Make sure to include both the flower and the leaf! The Handbook suggests explaining the way the nasturtium leaf is like a shield.
- The Handbook also suggests observing and then explaining the way the nasturtium flower looks on successive days, noting the anthers’ position and pollen as time goes by. It also suggests keeping a list of insect visitors so plan on making several observations of your flower in the garden as part of this Outdoor Hour Challenge.
- Advanced Study: History of Nasturtiums on YouTube. This video includes information about the medicinal uses of the nasturtium. PLEASE NOTE: I do not recommend eating any part of the nasturtium plant and this video is for information only. Complete the advanced study notebook page included in the ebook.
If you want to purchase the Spring Nature Study Continues ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Spring Nature Study Continues – New Ebook announcement page for more details.