Outdoor Hour Challenge
Inside Preparation Work:
- Read page 725 (Lesson #201) in the Handbook of Nature Study. This is one of the shorter lessons in the Handbook but it will get you started with your fungi study.
- Within the lesson is the suggestion to read Lesson #198 on mushrooms. I would suggest using the lesson ideas from Lesson #198 to observe any fungi you find for this challenge.
- Youtube: For the most part this video is about the hedgehog fungi: Hedgehog Fungi.
- Advanced study: Use this page to glean more information about the hedgehog fungi.
Outdoor Hour Time:
- Go on a fungi hunt! This challenge can help you slow down to look for any fungi in your area at this time of year. In my research, I found that the timing for looking for hedgehog fungi will vary by region. On the East Coast, you can look for this fungi from July through November. On the West Coast, prime time is in January.
- If you find a hedgehog fungi, look for the fringe!
- Print and take along the Mushroom Cap Shape printable for your study.
- Follow up your nature study with a nature journal page. Use the notebook page included in the ebook, a printable Parts of a Mushroom page, or create your own page in your blank journal.
- Advanced study: Draw the hedgehog fungi and label its parts. Include a complete and detailed description of this fungi for future reference.
If you want to purchase the Autumn Nature Study 2015 ebook so you can follow along with all the notebooking pages, coloring pages, and subject images, you can join the Ultimate or Journey Membership Levels. See the Join Us page for complete information. Also, you can view the Autumn Nature Study 2015 announcement page for more details.