Outdoor Hour Challenge
Field Mustard and Wild Radish
- The two wildflowers in this challenge are usually considered weeds and grow along the roadside or in fields. They bloom in early spring and are easy to spot with their colorful blossoms. Look for the mustard and/or wild radish plants in the early spring and on through the summer months.
- Field Mustard (Brassica rapa)- Read about this plant. See the range: USDA.
- Wild Mustard (Sinapis arvensis )- Read about this plant.
- Wild Radish: (Raphanus raphanistrum)- Read about this plant. See the range: USDA.
Outdoor Hour Time:
Look in fields and along roadsides.
- The challenge this week is to get outside and look for wildflowers, especially those in the mustard family. If you made a list of plants to be on the lookout for in addition to the mustard or radish, keep those in mind as well.
- Make careful observations (Ebook users look for a notebook page to print and use.)
- Create a notebook page for the field mustard and the wild radish plants. (Ebook users look for a notebook page to print and use.)
- Start a mustard family notebook page. Keep a running list over time of the flowers you observe and/or study in this plant family.
- Advanced study: Research how the wild radish was introduced and spread across a lot of the western U.S. landscape.
- Advanced study: Printable for field mustard.
- Advanced study: Research and list in your journal the many edibles found in the mustard family.
- Eat something with mustard!
Note: This week’s challenge is also the sample for the ebook: Wildflower Nature Study Set #1 Sample
How do you get the new Wildflower Nature Study ebook?
Members of the Ultimate Naturalist and Journey levels have access to the new ebook in their library. You need to click the “Members Area” button at the top of the website, sign into your account, and the ebook is there to download and save for your family to use when desired. If you don’t have a membership yet, I am offering a $5 off discount code that will be good towards your Ultimate Naturalist membership.
Discount Code: Wildflower5